Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21, 2014

Mitch, we are having a missionary night for YW. Can you answer these questions for me? Love, Mom

What influenced you to serve a mission?
1. The fact that the gospel has influence my life so much gave me the desire to show others how it can bless theirs. My parents taught me since I was a little kid that a mission is what I should do. They never forced me to do it but they did show me how much it can bless my life. Because of that, I want others to know how it is to have this gospel in their own families.

What best prepared you for serving a mission?
2. Truthfully, I wasn't all that prepared to go, all I knew is that I wanted to go. I just wanted to go where the Lord would send me to teach the people that needed me at that time in theirs lives. But having a family that tries everyday to live the gospel helped me a lot to prepare for the mission. And having siblings helped me a bit in learning how to deal with some companions :)

What has been a memorable mission experience?
3. We passed by a recent converts house on a Saturday. We weren't planning on going but we decided to pass by to see how they were doing. A family lives there that were baptized about 6 months ago. When we got there, the husband ran out of the house with his backpack of stuff and said he wasn't going to come back. He said some other stuff that was causing him to want to get out of the house. We had no idea what was going on and how it all got started. Se went in to the house and started talking to the wife and got the big ol story about what was going on. False accusations and money stealing stuff... anyways we got talking to her more and out of the blue she said that it would be better if she just killed herself so she wouldn't have to suffer anymore. I don't know how many of you have been with someone when they talk about seriously taking their own life but it is something I will never forget. She has a little 3 yr old girl that ran in when she said this. So I had her look at her daughter, had her think about how much she loved her and how she would feel to have her daughter go without a mom. She said she wouldn't know how she would feel. Then I talked about how much the Lord loves her and we all just started to cry. The spirit was so strong at that moment because we knew that we went by her house at the right time. The Lord really does watch over each and ever one of His children. We must never forget that!!!

Do you have any thoughts or feelings you would like to share with the YW?
4. Young women, I encourage you to serve missions. Sister missionaries have a certain spirit that us Elders don't have. I have seen families that listen to the missionaries for years and then the moment a pair of sisters teach them, they get baptized. The sister missionaries truly have this love for the people. As soon as you find that love for the gospel, you will find it for the people you teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment